West Hollywood, Ca
Biographer & Content Creator I johnsondesignco
I grew up in Los Angeles as an only child. I had plenty of time to drum up ideas to entertain myself, which shaped my personality. No doubt that my family had a lot to do with my sarcastic and dry humor, but my creativity evolved from finding shit to do all the time.
I sold books. I sold oranges. I got bored and put the oranges in mud and threw them at the neighbor’s clothes line. I played sports and was good. I picked the cymbals to play in the the mandatory junior high band. My friends and I bought all of the toilet paper at the 99-cent-store to TP the neighborhood – with my mom. I picked up my best friend Mella in my Dad’s ‘67 Volkswagen Bug at the age of 13, because he figured it was time for me to learn how to drive. I had a fun childhood in a typical suburban neighborhood.
My college years were spent studying journalism and marketing. During senior year I was introduced to the wine & spirits industry, and have been working in sales for the past 12 years. I sold a vodka with guarana (basically five redbulls) in it that people mixed with Red Bull. I think I’m still hungover from those two years. I worked with Evian water and had the opportunity to partner with some of the best resorts and restaurants in the country. I slung Moonshine. Seriously. I’m now working with a small Champagne company and loving it. Launching new brands allows me to be creative in my sales approach to gain the most market share in this crazy competitive market.
My new venture is Lisa Barnes Design, and I will be offering easy, affordable design consultation for the everyday person. I’m not a corporation and I don’t have any credentials, but I’m confident in my abilities and ready to tackle this head on. Until then, I’ll be writing for GP and asking ridiculous questions. Thank you, Casey, for keeping me entertained.
Lisa in 15 Questions:
1. WHAT IS THE SOUNDTRACK TO YOUR LIFE? ONE ALBUM .
Whitney Houston’s greatest Hits
2. NAME A FEW OF YOUR FAVORITE SPOTS TO EAT IN LOS ANGELES.
Scopa in Venice, but sometimes it’s obnoxiously ‘Venice’
Casablanca in Venice – authentic Mexican with old-school décor and a tequila cart!
The Boat in Rosemead – ridiculous chili burgers and red cabbage salad.
3. DOGS OR CATS? DO YOU HAVE ANY ANIMALS?
Dogs, but I’m obsessed with all animals. I would like a Quokka. If you don’t know, you should learn about it. I’d like to think I can be as happy as a Quokka looks every day.
4. FAVORITE PIZZA IN LOS ANGELES?
DeSano Pizza on Santa Monica Blvd. Chewy crust and loads of hot peppers.
5. WOULD YOU RATHER BE A MEMBER OF N’Sync, The Jackson 5, Spice Girls OR Beastie Boys?
Beastie Boys because I can identify with being white and loving rap. My mom had to argue with a woman to get me the Licensed to Ill album for my birthday. Brass Monkey was my jam in junior high.
6. WHAT'S THE DRINK THAT MAKES YOU A LITTLE WEIRD? MINE IS GIN.
Weird, mine is too. And Makers.
7. WHY DO YOU ASK PEOPLE SO MANY FOOD-RELATED QUESTIONS? YOU'RE LIKE 98 POUNDS AND ONLY EAT SALAD, RED SAUCE, CHEESE AND CHOLULA AS FAR AS I CAN TELL? (THIS IS FROM CASEY)
I'm drinking a martini due to your (Casey) influence and just added BBQ kettle chips to my salad. (This did not answer my question- Casey)
8. HIKING IN THE MOUNTAINS OR LAYING ON THE BEACH?
Can I choose laying in the mountains?
9. FAVORITE PLACE TO TRAVEL TO?
Prague. Pure magic.
10. HOW MANY LICKS DOES IT TAKE TO GET TO THE CENTER OF THE TOOTSIE POP?
If I had the patience to find out, I would have the answer. I only really like the cherry flavor with the blue wrapper.
11. TACO BELL OR DEL TACO?
Taco Bell. Double Decker taco supreme with beans instead of meat.
12. DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL STYLE IN 3 WORDS.
Neutral. Sweaters. Classic.
13. FAVORITE PLACE IN LA TO SHOP FOR HOME ITEMS?
I like West Elm and Spitfire Girl for odd accessories.
14. WHAT IS THE LAST SHOW YOU BINGE WATCHED?
Schitts Creek. I think it’s my favorite sitcom of all time.
15. HOW MUCH WOOD COULD A WOOD CHUCK CHUCK IF A WOOD CHUCK COULD CHUCK WOOD?
Enough to build me a canoe to get the eff out of the woods.